FAQs On Family Law, And How I Can Assist
Family law covers a wide range of topics, from divorce and child custody to prenuptial agreements, grandparent visitation and adoption. I know that many of you may have questions and concerns when your life leads you into legal matters for which you have little knowledge. Judith Trentman Wilson, Attorney at Law, P.C., of Belleville, Illinois, is a seasoned firm that will provide the guidance and advice you need. My firm will protect your rights, help you solve your problems and tackle any complex legal issue that comes its way. Below, I have provided a list of frequently asked questions.
- I’ve decided to obtain a divorce. Do I need to hire an attorney?
- An experienced family law attorney can advocate for you, support you and help you secure what is rightfully yours. This would include matters related to the division of assets, child custody, child support and spousal support. There are many details that must be addressed in a divorce case. It’s not a good idea to do this on your own. An experienced family law attorney will help.
- How are assets divided in a divorce?
- Whenever any property is acquired during a marriage, it belongs to both spouses. This may include a home, investment property, motor vehicles as well as retirement accounts. A divorcing spouse should rightfully gain and divide assets accumulated during the marriage.
- How is child custody determined?
- When divorcing parents are unable to agree on custody arrangements for their child, the court will make the decision based on what is considered the “best interests of the child.”
- Can a child support order be modified?
- Yes. Several factors exist that may lead to a modification in child support amounts. An increase or decrease in income is one factor. One parent loses a job and be unable to temporarily pay the allotted child support amount, or perhaps that parent received a significant wage increase through work. In both cases, modifications are likely. Other scenarios may include changes in the child’s needs or one parent’s remarriage leading to a change in family structure.
- Our family is seeking to adopt children. How can an attorney help in our situation?
- An experienced family law attorney can guide you through the process and help your family determine what is the best route for you. The adoption process can be complicated, and I will help you understand it. I can help you determine whether to pursue a confidential or open adoption, hire an agency or choose a private adoption. I also will answer your questions about international adoption. Judith Trentman Wilson, Attorney at Law, P.C., also has represented same-sex couples who seek to adopt children.
I Understand Family Law, Call Me Now
If you have questions regarding family law, I can assist you. My law firm will guide you through a divorce and its related issues such as child custody, child support and division of assets. My firm also has represented couples – including same-sex couples – in adoption cases. Judith Trentman Wilson, Attorney at Law, P.C., of Belleville, Illinois, is a knowledgeable and experienced firm with roots in the Midwest. My firm is understanding, effective and results-driven. For a free consultation, call my firm at 618-207-4032.