When Same-Sex Couples Divorce, I Can Guide You On What To Expect
Same-sex couples have been allowed to marry in the United States since 2015 U.S. Supreme Court decision. But the state of Illinois allowed same-sex unions a year earlier. For decades, same-sex couples have fought and lobbied for this right. But along with marriage comes other matrimony-related matters, including divorce. With same-sex divorce, complications may exist related to spousal support, child support and asset division.
If you find yourself in a same-sex divorce, you need legal guidance. Judith Trentman Wilson, Attorney at Law, P.C., of Belleville, Illinois, is an experienced family law firm that has represented many clients in same-sex divorce cases. My firm is compassionate, empathetic, effective and experienced. My firm tackles complicated legal issues and gets solid results.
Issues Include Child Support, Child Custody And Asset Division
Matters aren’t always clear in same-sex divorce. A big question: When was the marriage officially recognized? Was it when Illinois legalized same-sex marriage, or when the federal government did? Or maybe the marriage began when the couple moved in together in the 1980s.
There are other factors that courts look at as well in same-sex divorce, including:
- Division of assets: This may include the home, vacation property and retirement accounts.
- Child custody: In many cases of same-sex marriages, only one parent is the biological parent of the child.
- Child visitation and child support: If children were part of a same-sex union, then it would be wise to come up with a workable solution.
- Spousal support: In some marriages, one spouse may have been a stay-at-home parent or stay-at-home spouse.
- Debt: Existing debt is typically divided between the spouses.
We will help you protect your rights and obtain what you rightfully deserve.
Providing A Steady Legal Hand, Contact Me
In many ways, the divorce concept represents uncharted territory for same-sex unions. I can explain the process and guide you. As a personable and client-focused law firm, my office provides a steady hand. Judith Trentman Wilson, Attorney at Law, P.C., of Belleville, Illinois, is an experienced and knowledgeable firm. My firm can solve problems. For a free consultation, call my firm at 618-207-4032.