First and foremost, I extend my sincere hope that you and your family are well. My office will continue with our normal business hours of 8am-4pm Monday through Friday; however, in keeping with the Governor’s orders and health officials recommendation regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, my office will be closed for all in-person meetings until further notice. My office does have the capability of virtual meetings and appointments. We are also available by office phone, by cell phone (618-698-2721), or by email, ([email protected] or [email protected]).

At My Firm,
Your Legal Issue Is Not Just Another Case

I care deeply about the outcome for you and your family.

Judith Trentman Wilson
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Estate Planning & Probate
  4.  » Estate Planning FAQ

Your Estate Planning Questions Answered

I am Judy Trentman Wilson, an estate planning lawyer with law offices in Bellville, Illinois, and The Villages, Florida. When people come to me with questions about their estate planning goals, I always provide them with straightforward answers based on a deep understanding of the law.

On this page, I will answer some of the most frequently asked questions about estate planning. Remember, this is general information. For answers about your specific legal needs, speak with an attorney who has experience in this area of the law.

Do I Need A Will?

The answer to this question for the vast majority of people is yes! If you have any assets at all, you likely want to see them distributed in the manner of your choosing. If you were to pass away without a will, your assets would be distributed according to state law.

If you have minor children, a will allows you to appoint a trusted guardian for them in the event you are no longer able to fill your role as a parent. The need for a will becomes more pronounced as you get older, but I believe that establishing a will is a good idea for adults of all ages.

I Want To Care For A Loved One With Special Needs. Do I Need A Guardianship?

The law assumes that adults are able to care for and make decisions for themselves. In order to gain the authority to make decisions that help a disabled loved one in your life, you will need to establish a guardianship. As a guardian, you are responsible for looking after your loved ones’ personal and financial needs.

How Do I Communicate What Medical Treatment I Would Like To Receive In The Event I Become Incapacitated?

By establishing an advance health care directive (also known as a living will), you can make clear the types of medical treatment you would like to receive or decline in certain scenarios. These directives are typically set up to address end-of-life medical scenarios. By establishing a living will, you can spare your loved ones the vexing questions and disputes that can arise when such wishes are unknown.

Get The Answers You Need

You deserve answers that address your specific questions, and I am here to provide you with them. To arrange an estate planning consultation, contact my law office online or by telephone at 618-207-4032.